Saturday, April 14, 2012

Acrobat Pinot Noir 2010

Why hello everybody! I know exactly what you're all thinking, It's about time I review another pinot noir, huh, guys? Well I agree, great insight, fellas!

The 2010 Acrobat Pinot Noir from Oregon state is the Wine Noob's wine of the day. Pretty good wine, if I do say so myself. Coming from Oregon, the vineyard experiences a much cooler and wetter climate than the wines I've reviewed in the past, so I'm excited to show you guys how that climate comes into play to create something radically different than wines from a more temperate climate.

So the wine's color was very light, a bright garnet red that showed no signs of depth or darkness. I could easily see right through the liquid, even from the bottom of the glass. It actually looked a little watery, to tell you the truth. I was a little hesitant, I thought that the wine would be flabby and uninteresting, but don't make the same mistake I did, because boy was I wrong.

The aromas in this wine were totally in your face. The nose was bold and strong. Some wines take me a while to dissect aromatically, but not this one. The first whiff took me to my aunt's farm in Italy, in the middle of the tobacco fields. I didn't necessarily smell barnyard/hay type smells, but I smelt a rich and flavorful tobacco. Not cigarette/cigar tobacco though; the sticky, pungent, tobacco leaf tobacco. There was also some leather action coming in with the oak. The power of the tobacco and leather totally washed out whatever fruit this wine had, which should be a lot considering how young it is.

In flavor, the fruit was almost nonexistent. Only after three sips, at ten minute intervals, did I get any fruit notes. Blueberry mostly, but an ever so slight black raspberry also came through. What you mostly taste is the lovely tobacco leaf flavor, combined with a rich spiciness that lasts throughout the mid palate well into the finish. In terms of mouthfeel, this pinot noir disappointed just a little bit. It was soft and lush, yet neither silky nor velvety, which is what I personally look for in a pinot.

So what's the final verdict? Well that's up to you guys. If you're kind enough, email me or somehow contact me and let me know if you'd pass on this tobacco/leathery wine for a fruit-bomb instead. I'd really like to know. I personally would enjoy this wine, but I won't be taking it to a friend's house for their birthday. Marco "The Wine Noob" Bruno gives this wine a thumbs-up for at-home consumption. At any rate, take care, you scoundrels!

3 comments:

  1. Well I feel your right on point about this little Pinot, especially the spiciness and tobacco aspect... spot on review and a great little wine for lounging around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a glass at a local restaurant (in SC) last night. It was ok. I agree with your assessment of its being light, thin, with little depth or fruit flavor. It did get better after being in the glass about 30 minutes. But it definitely wasn't worth the $10 per glass price tag they put on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd agree. It's a supremely interesting pinot noir but I've had similar wines for much less. However, this particular pinot noir has a very unique lightness while still showcasing powerful tobacco notes. I think that allows this wine to be the ideal choice for people who really identify with that feature.

    ReplyDelete