Friday, February 24, 2012

Sagelands Cabernet Sauvignon 2007

Everybody loves cabernet. I've tried maybe three different cabernets in my entire life, and personally I really don't see what all the fuss is all about. Granted I've never had a Napa Cab, I think that's reasonable. What I hate about Napa Cabernets is that it's hard to find a decent one in the $10-$20 range. So, instead of dropping $30 in pretty pennies for a "Robbie Mondavi" or a Decoy, I went for a decently priced cabernet from Washington State: the 2007 Sagelands Cabernet Sauvignon.

For those of you getting the idea I'm purchasing the wine myself, I just want to say that the wines I try are the wines that my parents bring home to try and see how they are- and once again, with their supervision, I get to try them (and spit them out.) The misleading introduction is just the cuddling and the necking before the real deal.
This, my friends, is a garnet

On to the wine! (I say, in my Medieval King voice)

So I poured out a glass of the cabernet, thinking to myself, "Awesome! I'll finally understand what people mean by rich and bold when describing cabernets."

This cabernet had a nice color, nothing spectacular. It was garnet-esque, which I think was pretty (I like garnets.) I've included a picture of a garnet so that all of you might start liking garnets as well.

I sniffed the glass. At first I got black-currant, which is a huge part of the cabernet flavor profile. After aerating it though, I caught onto something green. A green scent, that is. I'd always heard about people smelling things like bell peppers or herbs in wine, but I had never experienced it myself until now. I wasn't used to it, so I spent about fifteen minutes trying to tell what it could be. Eventually I couldn't even notice the black-currant, I was fixated on that elusive green smell. I came up with three possibilities on what it was: it was either asparagus, broccoli, or artichokes (or a combination of the three.) I'm not going to lie, it really pissed me off that I couldn't tell what it was for sure, because that damn smell was so familiar. But it makes sense, the wine is called Sagelands, so it was bound to be herby or vegetal.

Eventually, I took a mouthful of the cabernet and swished it around my mouth. I could taste the black-currant, and a little black cherry (maybe,) at first. Throughout the mid-palate, the fruit flavors diminished and I got the vegetables, the herbs, and I guess sage (but I think that was my mind convincing myself that I'd get a hint of sage in there.)

Its body was full, the acidity wasn't overbearing, and the texture seemed bland. Is that what constitutes rich and bold? I think not! (I say again, in my Medieval King voice.) I think it's just that Washington State is trying to do something else with their cabernets, as opposed to the Kings of the Cab in Napa Valley.

What I've learned from this wine is that, yes, fermented grape juice can taste like veggies, and that I've got to try a Napa Cabernet sometime in order to understand what everybody loves about them. Am I disappointed? Come on guys, don't be silly- Of course I am!


No comments:

Post a Comment