Saturday, February 18, 2012

Kosta Browne Pinot Noir 2009

Welcome to the second ever Wine Noob post! For those of you still wondering, I'm the Wine Noob. On that note,  let's start these reviews with a real home-run of a wine.

A few weeks ago, I had the extreme fortune and pleasure of trying one of the New World's very best wines. A wine so good that I actually wrote an essay about it in my Composition class. My professor was very fond of my details and insight into the wine, but unfortunately, he gave me a B- on the paper. But enough foreplay, this wine is Wine Spectator's #1 rated wine of 2011, the 2009 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir.

It was Sunday dinner at the Bruno household, and we had finished our bottle of Barolo by the second course (as we usually do). We followed up our big Italian Red with a half bottle of the Kosta Browne. As soon as I poured it into my glass, I could tell I was in for something big. What struck me was its pure black-violet color, and the way its silky form hugged the inside of the glass. This wine was sexy, and it was a perfect 11. After calming myself down, it was time to make my move. Naturally I was nervous, the Kosta Browne was the most beautiful wine I had ever seen- but I knew she was mine for the taking. As Dennis from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia would say, she couldn't say no.

That very first sip left me speechless. I've said it before, but I've been around. I've tasted a good number of wines for an 18 year old, but I haven't been left speechless from drinking something since my first carton of chocolate milk (and my first Jack & Coke.)

It was smooth, velvety, and beautifully structured (like Michelangelo's David.) My palate was caught completely off guard. I've never had a wine so comfortably velvety that I can still vividly remember that slightly (and by slightly, I mean fully) arousing sensation of that first sip. What I really loved about it in particular was that it wasn't flavor driven. If you extracted the flavor of this wine and put it into water, it would taste like worn, stained leather shoes (my dog would go crazy for that.) What made this wine magnificent was its structure and texture. Trying to get that elegant note of wood and cherry through all of the dirt and leather masks was fun, but the texture is what made it all worth while. It was like having liquid lingerie flow through my mouth. And at the end of the day, isn't that what it's really all about?

2 comments:

  1. Liquid lingerie flowing through my mouth???? sign me up! I hope I one day can have the pleasure of trying this wine. You've made it sound so appealing. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thanks bud, I call it as I taste it. My professor actually didn't like that part of my essay, which might have factored into the B-. Anyways I appreciate the comment, and I'll definitely be coming by http://filmradar.blogspot.com/ for my next movie choice, as everyone should!

    ReplyDelete