Thursday, July 12, 2012

I Sodi di San Niccolo` 2007 & Wine Tour

The Chianti Classico barrique.
Hi everyone! I appreciate all the feedback on the last post, it looks like you guys really enjoyed it! I'll try to keep it up with this one where I'll talk about the Castellare di Castellina winery in Chianti Classico and their top wine- I Sodi di San Niccolo`.

The Castellare di Castellina winery is a gorgeous winery found along the long rolling hills of Chianti, near Sienna. Throughout the tour my cousin and I were shown the cave-like cellars that were filled with barrique. They showed us two of the cellars, one where the Chianti Classico Riserva is kept, and one that we had to drive out to- a thirteenth century church where the Sodi di San Niccolo` is kept. The entire area was beautiful- the hills were filled with vines, freckled with lavender bushes that were surrounded by hundreds of butterflies.

Something I'd like to note about the Chianti barrique is how they keep the humidity within the cellar. Obviously being in a cave-like cellar, the temperature is kept relatively constant throughout the seasons, but the humidity has to be kept constant in a different way. What Castellare di Castellina does is dig out a ditch under the barrique and fill it with moistened gravel, which acts as a natural humidifier. Let me tell you, the temperature and humidity was perfect in there, not even my own bed room is that comfortable.

I Sodi di S. Niccolo` with some cold cuts.
Eventually, we were taken out to the office building (which looked more like a welcoming rustic household) to try a few wines. As we entered we were able to see the products that the winery produced, including the Chianti, the Chianti Classico, the Sodi di San Niccolo`, the vinsanto, the grappa, and even the world-famous Castellare vinegar. It was a nice reminder to us, who had just been out around a sunbaked paradise, that Castellare di Castellina is a prestigious and serious wine producer.

We tried three wines, the Castellare di Castellina Chianti Classico 2010, the Castellare di Castellina Chianti Classico Riserva 2009, and I Sodi di San Niccolo` 2007, the winery's "Cru," so to speak. We loved all of the wines, especially the Riserva, but I'll only review the Cru just because its something my father and I normally drink together at home.

The Castellare di Castellina entrance. 
The wine in glass is nice and medium colored. The legs formed beautifully, and you can tell by the swirl and aroma that the wine and barrique joined superbly to create a complex and pleasing wine. Elegant notes of violets and plums came through, all delicately coated in that rich oak I so very much enjoyed. The dish that accompanied the wine went perfectly together- I finished that entire dish of food since it tasted so good. It's definitely a wine I'd recommend to anybody who enjoys Italian food, and I have to say I'm glad that the Bruno Brothers carry this wine at their restaurants.

Anyways fellas, thanks for reading as usual. The next post will conclude my winery tour posts with the last one I visited- the Marisa Cuomo winery located in Furore, along the Amalfi Coast. I can't wait to write about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment