Saturday, July 14, 2012

Marisa Cuomo Furore Bianco 2010 & Wine Tour

The tour began with a walk through the cellar.
Hello everybody! This is the final wine tour I went on this Summer- the Marisa Cuomo winery. The winery is found along the gorgeous Amalfi Coast. You've got to take a long, curvy, and tight road along the water to get there. While the winery itself is located in Furore, the vines are found throughout a 10km radius of the central office. Since the Amalfi Coast itself is a mountainside, the vines are found at different altitudes ranging from 200 to 600 meters above sea level. Being on the Amalfi Coast is beautiful in itself, but being amongst vineyards on the Amalfi Coast is even more magical.


After the hour long tour, we were invited to the winery's own restaurant, the world renowned Bacco, where we enjoyed a four hour meal including a tasting of the winery's current vintage selection: the Furore Bianco, Ravello Bianco, Costa D'Amalfi Rosato, and the Furore Rosso. Each glass came with its own specialized dish for a perfect pairing, which led me to buy a bottle of each wine directly from the restaurant- I couldn't resist. I'm aware that my store sells these wines, but I just HAD to give these to some family in Italy because they're absolutely gorgeous wines that would make great gifts.

Afterwards, we walked along the street and enjoyed the scenery.
The wine I'll be talking in depth about will be the Furore Bianco 2010. Yeah, you heard me right. This is my very first white wine review. It was that interesting and refreshingly pleasant a wine that I just had to write about it. Let me just explain a little bit about Marisa Cuomo's wines first though. 

The wines are named after the towns that the grapes are predominantly collected from, be it Furore or Ravello. The white wines are blends of the Falanghina grape and the Biancolella grape (60% and 40%.) The Furore Rosso and the rosato are both a blend of the Piedirosso grape and the Aglianico grape (50% and 50%.) All of these grapes are found in Southern Italy, absolutely no foreign grapes are grown in the Marisa Cuomo winery. The Cuomo family, which runs the entire operation (Marisa's daughter was our tour guide,) believes strongly in staying true to themselves and the region in which they grow their wines, so only native varietals will be found and used here. The rest of Italy could try to do more of the same. 

We even got to walk through some of the aglianico vines. 
Okay, so now let me talk about the Furore Bianco. It was one of the most food friendly wines I've ever tasted. It was medium bodied yet insanely refreshing. Crisp, yet savory. The mouthfeel was out of this world, and when paired with the food served at Bacco, it tasted even better. I'm sorry to say it, but I didn't really pay attention to the individual flavors in the wine, the overall meal was just too much to take in. I enjoyed this wine a lot, and get this- I enjoyed the rosato even more. I don't even typically like rosato. That's how phenomenal these wines were. 






This post was a little all over the place, so let me just summarize everything for you here. If you ever get a chance to visit Amalfi, go online and make a reservation to VISIT THE MARISA CUOMO WINERY. You will NOT regret it. The weather is perfect, the air is pure, the scenery is magical, the cuisine is one of a kind, and the wines are truly superb. Check it out, fellas. 


Picture taken at San Pietro Wine & Spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment