Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Altesino Brunello Di Montalcino 2006

Hello guys! I apologize for having been on a week-long break after that awesome double header. I just had a lot on my plate during finals week and for once I decided to think about school before vino. But never again! From here on out I'll be committed to The Wine Noob. Two wine reviews a week, and I'll make them super fun for you guys. So with that, we proceed to this exciting wine- the Altesino Brunello di Montalcino.

Let me just start off by saying that I personally would only consider having this wine with a traditional Italian dinner. I HATE having to say that because I don't want to limit Italian wines to Italian meals. I also HATE broadcasting Italian culture, because I think that enough people do that already. However, this wine requires some sort of "al dente" pasta with a hearty tomato sauce, followed by some tomato drenched ox tail. On to the wine!

This Brunello was nothing short of, well, good. My parents praised it to no end, but we should consider that they come from Italy and are very proud about that- and as a matter of fact there's nothing wrong that. But, I personally thought it was... well, just good. Nothing truly spectacular, as you will see in my unbiased description.

The color of the wine was a clear red, with a long coloration that boasted a very clear edge when tipped.  It also featured some elastic, quick forming legs. Also, the swirl was particularly pretty (something I've begun to notice in a wine's structure.) Lastly in color, there was a pretty orange rim  along the edge of the glass.

The nose caught my fancy in this wine. The classic sangiovese bouquet shone in there, which actually usually bores me, to be honest. There was a raspberry/licorice combo up front, with a greenish "stalky" component coming in shortly afterwards. Eventually in the actual drinking of the wine I could absolutely say the wine was juicy, active, and vivacious. There was a superb mouthfeel with a persistent dryness, which went on to make the light body and tannins more enjoyable. I should also note my favorite part of the wine, which would be the unmistakable turnip and radish flavors that came in towards the end of the glass. Pretty solid.

Now, I must say this again. This wine highly benefitted from the meal I was having. On its own, I seriously doubt that I would have enjoyed it as much. When you have a Brunello, be sure to have it with a rustic meal. I'd say some Spanish or maybe Californian cuisine would go well with it- as well as classic Italian food. Anyways, I'll be back soon to post another wine review in a little while. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. A wine review is definitely subject to personal taste, and having been to the Altesino winery myself and tried all their wines, their brunello is of good quality. Not the best, but good quality.

    However,I totally disagree with you about a brunello needing a rustic meal. A well aired Brunello is as good as it gets on its own, so for you to assume that, makes me question your complete review.

    Brunello's don't receive top rankings because they only wash down well with meals.

    Anyhow, it was just a strange comment to make on one of the top wines in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you said, wine reviews are definitely subject to personal taste. I love Brunello, and I think part of my needing a meal to go along with it is because that's how I've been raised having Brunello exclusively with dinner.

      However, I agree strongly with the fact that the Sangiovese (Sangiovese Grosso, in this case) grape is often blended with other grapes for a reason. On its own, the grape might appear too acidic and it might lack body- that's why we see so many French grapes with Sangiovese in many of Tuscany's IGT's. And that's where I feel an appropriate meal comes into play.

      I'll stick to my original suggestion, I really believe this wine benefits from a meal alongside it. But I completely agree with you saying this is a world-class wine, and I thank you for pointing out a bias I didn't really realize I had!

      Delete