Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bisceglia "Terra di Vulcano" Aglianico del Vulture 2009

How are you all doing, my always appreciated readers?! I myself am ecstatic. It has been a while since I've tried a somewhat obscure grape varietal, and fortunately today, I had the pleasure of trying an Aglianico. Aglianico is a red wine grape that is indigenous of southern Italy, mostly in Campania and Basilicata. From what I've had of it in the past, I can tell you that it is simply tremendous. Aglianico is commonly referred to as the "Barolo of the South," and upon drinking it, you'll understand why.

This wine, in appearance, was quite nice. You could tell just from its depth that you're in for something bold and challenging. It is a dark and deep red with a pronounced red rim. The wine also features some tiny, minimal leg formation, that upon breathing for ten minutes, will begin to loosen up and stretch. 

The nose in this wine really was something else. Too often we're all used to the common scents in wine- the overdone oak and the basic red fruit. This particular wine takes those components and totally brings them out in a different light. The oak hangs over the entire nose with authority, yet it is strikingly different from the oak you're normally used to. This oak brings out amazingly pungent rose petal notes and the Basilicata's volcanic-based terroir. It was beautifully intriguing and thought-provoking. You can also make out the powerful dark- and I mean dark- berries. 

At first, the actual tasting of the wine worried me. It was harsh and coarse on the finish, yet the flavors I smelt were all there. However, after ten minutes of aerating it wildly, the coarseness faded, and I was left with an austere mouthfeel that left a beautiful and long finish in my mouth and nasal passages. Those dark and powerful fruits entertained my palate, and the wine's high acidity made the entire tasting that much more enjoyable. I can only imagine how this wine would pair with some serious red meats. 

If you haven't tried any Aglianico wines, I suggest you soon do. From what I've had, they are phenomenal and endlessly interesting. It never hurts to explore different varietals and wine styles, and southern Italy is a great frontier to dip your feet into. As per usual fellas, thanks for reading and you'll hear from me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment